Table of Contents
Ridesharing companies have been rising into vogue from the time they were introduced. This sudden acceleration has added rideshare accidents to the list of other types of collisions that increase the fatality rate in the United States.
Around 40 percent of the American population is using either Uber or Lyft rides. People use rideshare vehicles for getting from place to place at a reasonable rate. The majority of people prefer rideshare vehicles when they are drunk. Hiring an Uber or Lyft will be safer than getting arrested for drunk driving or getting into fatal car accidents.
Countless drivers rely on ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft to supplement their income or even make a living. Unfortunately, there are several risks associated with ride-sharing vehicles that cause injuries. Let’s try to find answers to your doubts about rideshare accidents.
Rideshare crash occurs because more miles are being driven and the roadways are being used more frequently. Sometimes, rideshare drivers have to drive through unknown routes and confront unexpected dangers. Some of the most common causes of rideshare accidents are as follows:
- Drowsy driving: Since many people prefer ride-sharing after their overnight celebrations, the rideshare drivers will be busy at night. They will be sleepy and tired. If the driver is drowsy, it increases the risk of driving. Dozing off for a few seconds can potentially lead to fatal accidents.
- Distraction: Visual and manual distractions are common among rideshare drivers. Rideshare drivers rely on the phone application to find passengers. They check their phones to look for the passengers for the next ride. They get distracted by navigation devices when they are behind the wheel.
- Intoxicated driving: If the rideshare driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it affects his concentration while driving. The driver may fail to follow the rules and signals. It leads to fatal crashes.
- Inexperience: Inexperienced Uber or Lyft drivers might endanger their passengers, other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists on the roads. Rideshare drivers lack experience behind the wheel as normal taxi drivers. No specific exam or training is required to become a Lyft or Uber driver. Lyft and Uber drivers must do very little training, which focuses mostly on using the app and tips and techniques for driving for the company.
If I am in an Uber accident, what should I do?
It is essential to know how to handle the situation if you sustain injuries in a rideshare accident. Your safety, well-being, and legal rights are essential. What happens if your Lyft or Uber driver gets into an accident? Here are certain steps that you can take to ensure your rights are protected.
- Seek medical service: If you are harmed in a rideshare accident, get medical service. Get a medical checkup even if you do not think you’ve been hurt. Make sure you haven’t suffered any injuries that could cause you problems later. Getting medical help after an accident might also protect you legally if you develop injuries due to the event.
- Make a police call: A police report is vital to claim insurance or a lawsuit. Hence the first thing to do after a rideshare accident is to call the police.
- Photograph the accident scene: Pictures and videos help the rideshare accident attorney to build your claim strongly. Therefore, make sure to take a picture of the road condition, the scene, and the accident’s location.
- Collect all the data: The following information should be collected.
- The Uber or Lyft driver’s name and contact information
- The insurance details of the driver and the rideshare company
- Collect the contact information of other drivers involved in the collision.
- It is required to note the number plate, vehicle model, and other details of the vehicle.
- If there are any eyewitnesses, remember to collect all their information.
- Report the accident: Ensure to report the incident to the rideshare company and your insurance company.
This video will give you more insights into what to do after a rideshare accident.
Stories of How Uber Accidents Rewrote Destinies of People
Jayden Morton is hit by an Uber driver involved in an accident before peak hour on September 5, 2022, at the intersection of Edmondstone Street and Melbourne Street in the suburb. he is still in critical but stable condition at Princess Alexandra Hospital after the horrific accident.
E-scooter rider in induced coma, both legs broken, after Uber accident https://t.co/jGVF4Yu38W #search
— Crank Start Media (@CrankStartMedia) September 7, 2022
When the above one is the case of an E-scooter rider injured by an Uber car, the below one portrays an Uber Eat driver being hit and run by thieves when chased by the police.
On August 27, 2022, the police found a stolen GMC and chased the driver in Houston. the suspect crashed into a Dodge Challenger on Milby near McKinney while trying to flee the police. The Uber driver is recovering from his minor injuries, while the driver of the GMC is arrested. Two other passengers of the GMC fled the scene. The DK law firm is fighting for justice for Uber drivers.
Fast food, fast crash – Uber Driver Hit by stolen GMC during police chase! DK Law firm aggressively seeks justice for Uber drivers. https://t.co/Ye4yrhOMU5 #uberdrivercrash #houstonpolicechase #personalinjurylawyer #theDKLawFirm pic.twitter.com/vMppsKMeku
— The DK Law Firm (@TheDKLawFirm) September 8, 2022
Most Common Queries about Rideshare Accidents
When you are wounded in an Uber accident, as a passenger or Uber driver, or another driver, you might be wondering what legal choices you have. The following questions will definitely enlighten you.
- How common are Uber accidents?
According to rideshare accident data, around 100 fatal rideshare collisions occurred in the United States between 2017 and 2018. These mishaps have resulted in 107 deaths.
- Who is responsible for my injury, if I am a victim of an Uber accident?
If you are a victim of a rideshare accident, analyze the cause of the accident. The reason may be due to the negligence of the reckless action of the Uber driver. Also, it may be because of the other driver on the road. The negligent driver is generally responsible for legal liability.
- What kind of insurance do Uber and Lyft have?
The policies are relatively similar for Uber and Lyft drivers. Both Uber and Lyft offer liability insurance to drivers. The amount of coverage depends on when the event occurred.
- If the driver is not logged into the Uber or Lyft app, there is no coverage from Uber or Lyft.
- If an Uber or Lyft driver logs into the app but does not accept a ride request, the service will cover any accidents caused by the driver. The amount given for a person injured in a rideshare accident is $50,000. The total injury liability for an accident is $100,000, and for the property damage liability, the amount is $25,000.
- Liability coverage increases to $1 million once the driver has accepted a trip and is on his way to pick up the passenger.
- When the passenger is in the car, $1 million is provided for liability coverage. Along with that, limited coverage is given for the damages to the driver’s vehicle.
Whose Insurance Covers Medical Expenses in an Uber Accident?https://t.co/eBqMRXTWxZ
— Evelyn Jones (@EvelynJ76819176) September 6, 2022
- What happens if the accident is caused by my Lyft or Uber driver?
If the Uber or Lyft driver was responsible for the accident, they will be held liable. The car insurance of the driver will cover the rideshare accident. If the driver is not covered, the company will be held responsible. From the start to the end of the ride, you are covered by the insurance of the rideshare company or the driver who is at fault. Your driver’s negligence will not have any impact in restricting you from claiming your injuries and other damages.
- What happens, if the accident is caused by another driver?
If the accident is the fault of the other party, their insurance should pay for your damages. Uber and Lyft have policies if they are uninsured. This issue is complex. Many insurance companies will be involved in this. Those companies may decide to work together and will try to offer you a lower settlement than you deserve.
- Can I get restitution, if I’m a rideshare driver who gets into an accident?
Yes, you can. If you are a rideshare driver and believe that another driver is at fault you can claim compensation. You can claim for your injuries as well as the damages to your vehicle.
- When do you have to file a lawsuit for an Uber or Lyft accident?
The statute of limitations for ridesharing accidents differs from state to state. For example, in Florida, the statute of limitation for rideshare accidents is four years. To be safe, you should seek legal advice from a ridesharing attorney as soon as possible following your accident.
- What to do to avoid rideshare accidents?
To avoid Lyft or Uber car crashes, make sure to choose a driver with a high positive rating. Also, don’t distract him with unwanted conversation. If you feel that he is speeding, ask him to drive slowly. Your life is more essential than rushing. Further, if the driver appears to be under the influence of drugs, do not board that vehicle.
- What are the damages you can claim in an Uber or Lyft accident?
The damages caused by rideshare accidents may devastate you. The financial burden can be abated by compensation. Through settlement or trial at court, you can recover restitution for your losses such as:
- Income loss, if you are unable to work
- Medical bills for all treatment, hospitalization, and surgery.
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Why should I seek the help of a rideshare accident attorney, if I am a victim of an Uber or Lyft accident?
A rideshare car crash involves several parties -the Uber/Lyft driver, the company, or the other driver. Therefore, the Uber or Lyft accident lawyer will make you clear of the legal rights and will help you to recover the compensation.
- Can I claim for my damages, if I am not wearing a seatbelt during the rideshare accident?
If you fail to wear a seatbelt in a rideshare vehicle, you can get severe injuries during the crash. Failing to wear a seatbelt shows the negligence of the passenger. It limits your eligibility to claim for the damages. The defense may argue that the injuries would have been less serious if you had worn a seatbelt.
- What if a rideshare driver is involved in an accident without a passenger?
At the time of the accident, if the rideshare driver doesn’t have any passengers, he can expect complications from the ridesharing company and the insurance company. If the driver’s app is on, and he is on the way to pick up, Uber or Lyft’s insurance should cover the damages. Otherwise, it is the driver’s auto insurance that is liable.
When you are in a rideshare vehicle, make sure that you are safe. Rideshare accidents can occur based on various causes and circumstances. Remember to follow the safety tips to avoid a collision.
If you or your loved one is involved in an Uber or Lyft car crash, you need to seek the help of an experienced rideshare accident attorney. Your attorney will gather all the evidence to get a positive outcome. When you know who is at fault, it is easy to claim. Even if you do not have auto insurance of your own, you can get restitution.
Visit our Instagram, to get more insights,
View this post on Instagram